8.03.2011

Sirius Rises at Sunrise

"These are strange and breathless days, the dog days, when people are led to do things they are sure to be sorry for after." ~Tuck Everlasting

"Dog Days" are the sweltering, sultry, stagnant days of summer between July and August with the sun directly overhead and very little rain.  Traditionally the Dog Days are the 40 days from July 3 to August 11 when Sirius (the dog star) is the brightest star in the night sky and  coinciding with the ancient heliacal rising of the star.  Some calendars even count the dog days right into September.

Me though?  I think the dog days are over!  Not the hot weather, I know we'll have more of that .. but now I think of it as "harvest season" weather.  Its funny how the 1st of August brought the first cool nights we've had in weeks and today came the rain and rain and rain that we desperately needed.  This is the weather I think of as the beginning of the end .. though not for many months as I think we'll have a long Indian Summer this year!  Between the timing, and the fact that I'm experiencing true happiness this summer, I've had this song stuck in my head all day!  The video(s) are also very enchanting - I say plural because there's two of them.  Which one do you like better?

Happiness, hit her like a train on a track || Happiness, hit her like a bullet in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment